The “Pirates of the Caribbean” are getting pirated. As the world is eagerly waiting for the movie’s fifth installment titled “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”, hackers threaten to leak it online unless Disney pays a ransom.
The Hollywood Reporter says that Disney’s CEO Bob Iger on Monday, May 15 told ABC employees during a meeting that some hackers had accessed one of their films and planned to release it in segments if the company failed to pay a sizeable ransom in bitcoin. Iger at the time didn’t name the film specifically. He only said that Disney had refused to comply and was working with federal investigator on the case.
Deadline later reported that the film in question was the forthcoming “Pirates 5”. The flick, deemed as a reboot, is currently still due out in the U.S. on May 25. It will once again star Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow and Orlando Bloom as Will Turner. Javier Bardem and Geoffrey Rush are among other famous faces featured in the franchise.
The hacking came on the heels of the WannaCry Ransomware outbreak which has infected thousands of PCs globally since Friday, May 12. The virus locks computer systems and demands $300 in bitcoin. More than $33,000 in ransoms has been paid so far.
But Hollywood had already been a target of hackers even before the massive cyber attack began. Last month, an anonymous hacker threatened to upload the fifth season of “Orange Is the New Black” after Netflix refused to pay a ransom. Back in 2014, hackers attacked Sony as a response to the company’s film “The Interview”. Starring James Franco and Seth Rogen, the controversial comedy is about two reporters who are recruited by the CIA to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.